Sunday, January 6, 2013

Gesso - I "gesso" for the first time!

 In my Christmas stocking, I received a new magazine that combines art, art journaling and scrapping.  A product that I've never tried is gesso which was also featured.  Gesso is a white primer used in acrylic painting as a base or primer on a canvas.  Scrappers are using this in a variety of ways - to create texture or to create a whitewash effect.  After finally finding this in the fine art supply aisle, I put it to use as a whitewash effect:


I decided that it was time to use My Mind's Eye:  Follow Your Heart - which I must add is a very beautiful line - nice and heavy paper that is easy to cut and create with!  When I stamped those adorable blue birds, they adhered to the gesso treated page so beautifully - I think that the ink is a bit more vibrant (even when stamped on white paper its not as striking!).

And - I really had fun playing around with the hexagons, bakery twine and just being a bit out of my typical comfort-zone with both style and technique.

Have a scrap happy kind of a day!

3 comments:

Misty said...

Yup, you rocked the gesso. GREAT lo!

Charity said...

EXCELLENT! It may have been out of your comfort zone, but you rocked this look like a PRO!

Kristina MacKeen said...

I love how you lo came out with the gesso!